Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 36 (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps + Ab Ripper) Post workout guilt


The feelings I get after some of these P90X workouts are sometimes very odd.  Although I'm completely exhausted during the workout, once I've recovered for a few minutes I commonly feel as though I should have...could have pushed myself more and that I dogged the workout.  I'm not sure how accurate that really is, but sometimes I can't shake that feeling.

Today was the second time doing this particular workout.  The number and type of push up exercises is rough.  I've had some severe allergies and some medication I'm taking is making me drowsy.  I could tell that was affecting things right away...in fact I'm proud of myself that I was even able to work out.  I made the mistake of not looking at my previous number of reps on each exercise as I began to do them today.  Subsequently, I didn't make the proper goals.  This is reflected on the workout sheet...you can see I didn't do as many reps of many of the exercises.  One exception right away was the Floor Flys (which I don't use a paper plate on...I just move to the right or left).  I was able to correct for the proper weight on some exercises this week which allowed me to max out at 8-10 reps instead of more.

A few other notes...

Exercise 13 Side-to-side push ups seems almost identical to 7 Floor flys without the paper plate.  The only difference seems sequence (13 alternates sides where 7 has four reps on one side then four on the other).

I had some type of breakthrough with one-arm push ups.  Although I still do them on my knees, I did 10 and was able to do plenty more.  I'll probably do them on my feet next time.  Once again, the secret is to really twist your body into them.  Also, I put my hand right below where my face is.

I was also able to make very good contact with my hands on the plyo push ups (once again on my knees).  I tried them on my feet but I'm not ready for that yet.

The only exercise I really bombed out at was 10 two-twitch speed push-ups.  I did four fast, three slow, four fast and then fell apart.  I also don't get as low as I should on these.

I have learned a secret to these push ups though...let gravity do the work and then explode up.  It seemed like I was doing some type of unnecessary work to get down...especially with the fast push ups.  Just let gravity bring you down and then focus on pushing up. 

Some of the tricep exercises worried me.  I kept feeling like my triceps were going to give out.  And if that were to happen, the weight is just going to crash down on me.  Well, it hasn't happened yet so hopefully it won't.

Oh yeah...one more thing.  I tried Ab Ripper X right after my workout (I usually do it later in the evening).  I would NOT recommend this.  It is MUCH harder when your heart is still racing and you are exhausted from the previous workout.  However, I was still able to complete it, even with the modified (hands up) moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment