Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 31 (Back/Biceps) Last new workout!



Per design of the P90X schedule for Classic, this is the last new workout I'll be doing.  After today, I don't need to learn any new routines.  That is quite a relief as it never seems like you do the workout well the first few times you are learning it.  You just can't put your all into it.

Today was tons of different types of curls and pull ups.  Over the past few days, I tried the new pull ups and didn't have a problem.  Of course, that wasn't after I killed myself with curls.  Needless to say that I couldn't even bring myself up to the bar after the first set.  So I'm making a change...I'm using the chair from now on.  It does me no good to kill myself to do 2-3 pull ups.  I'm just not making any gains.  At least I can get the reps up by putting my foot on a chair.  Then I can try reps without a chair.  It doesn't make sense to keep doing an exercise in a way where you can't make gains.  I'm over four weeks in and almost worse that when I started.  We'll see if this will help. 

I pushed myself harder today.  The P90X literature suggests putting more effort into phase II so that's what I'm doing.  I'm trying to max out at 8-10 reps every time.  The only major problem (other than pull ups) was the last exercise...a strip set that requires four dumbbells.  I only have three, so I had to change weights at least once after I got things set up.  But the real problem is that I can only really curl 20 pounds 8 times after working out for an hour.  After I drop 5 pounds for each of three more sets of eight reps, I'm down to a ridiculous 5 pounds which is like using no weight.  I am going to try to increase my beginning weight next time, but I'm toasty toast by that time of the workout.

One last thing...during these resistance workouts, I will pause the DVD if necessary to make sure I've got the right weight for the exercise.  I think this is critical and this is advice I would give to anyone doing this.  There is no huge rush.  Even with the pauses, my HR monitor still said I burned 617 calories.

One other note...still sick as shit.  Allergies.  Ugh.  It was hard to get started today.  But I tried to pick the time I felt the most energy.  Once I got started, I forgot how bad I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment